Diabetes is a disease of malfunction of the Pancreas (part of digestive system), it is located behind stomach and produces a secretion called Insulin; which is important to metabolize sugar and starch from diet and plays important role in digestion and regulating blood sugar level. The well known role of Insulin is to maintain the concentration of glucose in blood, and allow the body cells to use glucose to generate energy for our day to day conduct. When Pancreas
- • Unable to make Insulin, or.
- • Produce less quantity of Insulin or,
- • Produce low quality of insulin, which does not work as it should be.
- as a result Blood sugar level increases and this condition is called Hyperglycaemia or Diabetes.
Researches established the following reasons may increase your chance of getting diabetes –
- • Family history of diabetes
- • Chemicals ( by indirect use of fertilizers; uses of medicines as a steroids etc.)
- • Sedentary life style without exposure to Sun light
- • Faulty dietary habits ( High calories diet, Fast food, Junk foods and more use of carbonated drinks)
- • Over weight
- • Regular severe stress
- • Racial (African-American, Hispanic, Native American or Asian-American race or ethnic background)
- • Pregnancy which puts extra stress on a woman’s body due to various hormone changes , that causes 3-4% women to develop diabetes.
There are mainly three types of diabetes: Type-1,Type-2 and Type-3.
- Type 1 Diabetes
- • In this type of diabetes Pancreas produces very little or no Insulin, and occurs mostly under the age of 16 years.
- Type 2 Diabetes
- • In this type of diabetes Pancreas produces Insulin but the quality and quantity doesn’t work as it hould. It occurs most often above the age of above 40years.
- Type 3 Diabetes
- • Called Gestational Diabetes which develops during pregnancy and disappears( or blood sugar level return back to normal ) after child birth. It occurs in those females have strong family history of Diabetes.
There are two types of treatment of diabetes :
- Non-Pharmacological: Based on Diet, Exercise and Diabetic education, usually it is suggested in Pre-Diabetics and newly diagnosed type-2 diabetic patients.
- Diet Intake of low calories but high in nutrition, Fast or Junk food, deep fried food must be avoided.
- Exercise: It should be the part of life and in office or home one should be active( playing with kids is also a good option).
- Education: Diabetic education is also an important part, one must know about this life style-disease, diet management, right time investigations and consultation with a Diabetologist.
- Pharmacological : This Means blood sugar level to be managed with medication including diet, exercise and education. Medication depends on the type of diabetes.
- For type1 : Different type of Insulin shots are required for controlling the blood sugar level
- For type2 : Different types of oral medicines are required, but in the case of OHGA (Oral Hypo Glycemic Agents) failure due to various causes Insulin could be added to control blood sugar level.
- What are the symptoms of diabetes?
- Type 1 diabetes : The symptoms of type 1 diabetes appears sudden which are
- • Increased thirst
- • Dryness in mouth
- • Increased frequency of urine
- • Increased Hunger
- • Weight loss (even though you are eating and feel hungry)
- • Weak, tired feeling all the da
- • Blurred vision
- Type 2 diabetes : The symptoms of type 2 diabetes comes very slowly and patient is unable to notice them as time passes noticeable and complex symptoms occurs which are as under-
- • Blurred vision
- • Increased thirst
- • Increased frequency of urine
- • Increased appetite
- • Weight loss
- • Slow healing sores or cuts
- • Yeast or mixed infection in penis or Vagina
- • Itchy skin (usually in the vaginal or groin area)
In most of the cases it comes in the knowledge accidentally, when person goes for insurance policy or surgical operation. But any health care provider or good pathological lab can tell you by your blood or urine test.
- Normal Value of sugar in blood –
- • Fasting Blood Sugar: 70 – 100 mg %; if more or Hba1c – > 5.7 % than Diabetes
- • Post Meal B. Sugar : 100 – 120 mg %; if more or Hba1c – > 6.2 % than Diabetes
- • Random B. Sugar : 120- 140 mg% if more or Hba1c- > 7.0 %/li>
No, It is a non curable disease, can be treated and controlled only by regular medication, life style and dietary modification. So best control of Blood sugar level is the best solution till date. But we should be hopeful in future because decade before Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Polio and many other diseases are incurable but now they are curable and researchers are working on it day and night to find the cure.
- What will happen if diabetes is uncontrolled –
- Diabetes is a very complex and expensive disease, when it remains uncontrolled leads to micro and macro vascular damage of whole body which are called Diabetic complications some are as under-
- • Blindness and other Eye Disease
- • Heart disease including High or low blood pressure
- • Kidney disease
- • Impotency in male and female
- • Infertility in male and female
- • Nerve damage diseases resulting pain and loss of sensation
- • Feet infection may leads to amputation ( Loss of Limb)
- • Memory loss, Gum diseases and many other.
- • (Feeling of pain is reduced by 40-60% in Diabetic patients)
If Blood sugar level comes down less than 60 mg % in any individual, then following symptoms occurs –
- Early symptoms
- • Feeling of weakness(sudden)
- • Feeling of mild to moderate dizziness
- • Feeling hungry
- • Fine tremors
- • Feeling shaky
- • Feeling shaky
- • Random Sweating
- • Have a pounding heart
- • Have pale and dry skin
- • Feeling frightened or anxious
- If patient avoid these symptoms then Late symptoms comes as-
- • Feeling of confusion
- • Mild to moderate headache
- • Feel cranky
- • Poor coordination in activity
- • Have bad dreams or nightmares
- • Unable to concentrate on one subject
- • Feel numbness in your mouth and tongue
- • Age 45 years or above
- • Sedentary or inactive life style.
- • Obese or Over weight
- • Family history, If parent, brother, sister or any sibling have diabetes.
- • If family background is African American, Alaska Native, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic/Latino, or Pacific Islander American or migrant to other country.
- • If history of Gestational diabetes.
- • At the time of birth baby is under weight or over weight.
- • If systolic or upper blood pressure is above 140 mm of Hg and Diastolic or lower is above 90 mm of Hg.
- • If Cholesterol levels, triglycerides are higher than 250 mg% and good cholesterol HDL is less than 35 mg%.
- • If consume more than three days rich diet in a week.
- • In any random previous testing, HbA1c level of 5.7 to 6.4 % or three times blood sugar level were found High.
- • If female have poly-cystic ovary syndrome, known as PCOS or PCOD
- • If a person dark , velvety-black lines (called acanthosis nigricans) around neck or armpits.
- • If history of cardiovascular disease.
All relative medicines are good depending upon the type and severity of Diabetes but selection of drug is important, secondly those medicines are said to be best, if they successfully subside the symptoms of disease gradually with least possible side effects and do not precipitate any other disease, usually different type and strength of Insulin’s are for type-1, Type-3 and Oral medication are used for type-2 diabetes.
These are very commonly used in India by the diabetic patients once in his life time by himself or advised by the friend / relative to manage sugar level. By the feedback of patients given to me , In 1992 I clinically found that karela is not reducing blood sugar level in all known diabetic patients, after that I continue to collect clinical data and my findings are as –
Hypoglycaemic effect of karela (Momordica charantia) is seen only in obese type-2 Diabetic patient, due to its metabolising property but simultaneously in many patients High B.P, particularly systolic blood pressure rise was also noticed, and those having bleeding piles Karela intake worsen their bleeding frequency due to it heat increasing property. Whereas no hypoglycaemic effect is seen on underweight or low BMI diabetics, but after prolong use frontal headache , loose and frequent motion were also seen.
Methi seeds (Seeds of Fenugreek) due to its mucilaginous properties it delays the absorption of glucose from intestine hence show hypoglycaemic effects, but it is seen more in average weight patients. Prolong use may cause nephro toxicity due to its seed coat and are subjected to research.
Hypoglycaemic effect of Paneer Doda (Withania Coagulans dunal) is also found in some underweight type-2 diabetics. But it is also seen that after prolong use dental decay, loosening of dental socket occurs which is very common side effect. So in my view don’t take any such vegetable or herb without consulting any Ayurvedist.
Now a days not in India but globally one can see such advertisement of many medicines claiming to cure of diabetes under the name of Organic drugs, Phyto-herbal Natural herbs, Third generation natural products etc. But such claims are not true, no such medicine is till date established scientifically to cure diabetes.
But as per best of my knowledge Ayurvedic or herbal formulation works best when prescribed after individual counselling and screening. Because each individual is unique in al aspects like unique life style, body frame, digestive capacity and disease manifestation.
So, no single formula can benefit to every diabetic, however some feeling of well being or placebo effect can be seen for some time.
As Ayurveda or herbal medicine system is completely based on personalised treatment methodology.
In ancient Indian Ayurvedic texts Diabetes Mellitus comes under the group “Prameha” in which 20 types of Diabetes like disorder were defined. Which includes diabetes insipidus , glycosuria etc. Very detailed description is available to manage these disorders. Which is mainly classified in three ways based on body frame like obese, standard weight and under weight, which further classified based on Tridosh concept in three categories-
- •Kaphjanya : Obese or high BMI individuals along with the symptoms of diabetes like excessive thirst, increased urination, weakness et, are present but pathological blood values are normal; in those Pramehi or diabetics Single or Poly-herbal combinations are suggested.
- •Pittajanya : Standard body weight / Normal / Average BMI individual are in this category with known symptoms of excessive thirst, increased urination, weakness etc) with high blood sugar value; Poly-herbs with metallic preparations are described.
- • Vatajanya : Under body weight or Low BMI patients comes in this category where blood sugar level is poorly controlled with relative complications precious stones and metallic preparations with anabolic diet regimes are described.
The principal of therapeutic effects of herbal medicines have different theory from modern system of medicine. Ayurveda explain that everything of universe is made up of organic and inorganic substances and same substances are found in human body in molecular form, when these substances are in balance than the state of perfect health remains, but due to any reason this balance get disturbed than the illness occurs. So to remove this illness or dis-ease, ancient Indian searched the solution from naturally occurring resources which are plants, minerals and metals, precious stones and animal products around us These combinations are made by natural substances so work naturally without any side effect.
- There functions are as –
- •Promotive : Maintains body immunity to fight against diseases.
- •Preventive : Maintains the normal physiology and activity in body systems which play important role for prevention from diseases.
- • Curative : In chronic diseases play important role to reduce the symptoms of disease and its complications without harming the other organs and cures various imbalances which produces disease.
- Today we have many scientific tools to analysis the composition of herbs, minerals etc. But in the ancient time there were only the system of personal analysis by various methodologies based on unique Ayurvedic concept of Tridosh theory and pulse examination, life style regime along with visual and symptomatic assessment.
As we all know today that in diabetes (particularly type-2) life style and diet play a very important role and ancient Ayurvedist were well aware of this fact. So they prescribed the life style and diet modification along with various single herb, poly herb, herbo-mineral compositions to restore the health by correcting the imbalance in organic and inorganic series of the body cells naturally. As plants itself are very complex combination of phytochemicals and alkaloids which works as immuno modulator and anti-oxidants as well as rich in micronutrients, when these alkaloids, phytochemical are administerd in the body as per the requirement works to correct the physiology of human cell naturally.
Simultaneously the metals, minerals which are also found in our body and necessary for various functions. When administer ed from outside then they full fill the requirement of micronutrients, which reduce oxidative stress and gradually restore the balance of all chemical equation in human body. This ultimately results in normalising all imbalances which include blood sugar also.
Definitely, but very carefully and as per the demand of severity of the disease and condition of the patient as under –
- •In Type-1 : Insulin injection is the only solution. Ayurvedic or herbal or herbo-mineral-metal preparations can only be given along with Insulin to maintain vitality and strength as well as to retard the diabetic complications. Precious stones and Gold metal combinations works well due to their immuno-modulator effect and also help to decrease the dose of Insulin. But should be taken under strict supervision of an Ayurvedist and Diabetologist
- •In Type-2 : Herbal preparations plays an important role for best control of blood sugar level, as well as helpful to delay the OHGA resistance, reduces side effects of chemical based medicines with dose increasing factors, also maintains the body immunity against Diabetes.
- • In Type-3 : known as Gestational Diabetes Mellitus, it is more common in those females where mother and father family tree have strong family history of diabetes, secondly other risk factors in young females are job and career oriented, life style, delayed marriage, Stress, with long sitting jobs, imbalance diet and dietary habits can induce GDM, in such cases Insulin treatment is the right answer, and patient should not try to reduce and maintain blood sugar level by oral drugs (Metformin in GDM is under trial in western countries).
- Whereas in GDM Ayurvedic medicines can be taken in the supervision of an Ayurvedist. A monthly regime of customised herbal combinations or herbo-mineral combination is very useful for complication free delivery and healthy baby.
It is not true, the use of metal preparations were very popular in ancient India, and no such evidence of renal or hepatic toxicity were mentioned , whereas some metal like Iron, Lead, mercury were said to be toxic if not prepared by proper methodology or taken in raw form in heavy dose. But Ayurvedic metallic preparations prepared after a long process which convert these metals to nano-form (Bio-inorganic preparations known as Bhasms are wonderful search of ancient India), which are easily absorbed and consumed by the human body to produce desirable benefits , because human body also constitute of various metals, and the deficiency cause many disease; one of the common example is Anaemia caused by Iron deficiency.
- • Now various Institutes in India like AIIMS-New Delhi and IIT-khadagpur are working on these lines to establish that those metals in oral use are safe and beneficial to mankind.
- • But in diabetic patients the reason of kidney and liver damage is due to decontrol diabetes and fluctuation or poor control of blood sugar level. So one can take such preparations in proper dose with the advice of an expert Ayurvedist.
- • To understand in more better way American and European diabetic population donot use metallic Ayurvedic drugs but Kidney and liver problems are more common with other diabetic complications as compare to Indian population.
- • Much other scientific reference confirms that metals play important role in proper functioning of enzyme and proteins in different way.
Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium and Potassium are main inorganic elements of our body, while many other metals are in different macro to micro or ppm quantity and play important role in bodily enzymes and hormones to maintain all transformational chemical reactions of bodily activity and known as inorganic series of the body, while the secretion and formation of hormone and enzymes are made by organic substances ( Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Oxygen in different bonds combinations) known as organic series of the body.
Every modern anti diabetic drug is prepared by chemical origin substances ( as Dionil, Amryl ,Glycigon etc.) and its continuous use to control diabetes, may disturbs the organic-inorganic balance in the body, as a result even after controlled blood sugar level patient feel low and complaint of weight loss, Fatigue, palpitation, and many other symptoms.
When customised metal-mineral Ayurvedic preparations (consisting of Bhasmas of metal, mineral and precious stones)are given to the diabetic patients, after evaluating the deficiency level of various mineral and essential elements required to maintained health, deficiency symptoms disappears along with excellent feeling of well being occurs, and many reversible diabetic complications begins to reverse naturally.
- • Allopathic system is completely different with Ayurvedic system of treatment.
- • Scientific researches are not well conducted and published in medical journals on Ayurvedic medicines.
- • Some non-qualified persons, those do not know anything about Ayurvedic science, prescribing and distributing Ayurvedic preparations to the patients,, doing harm to the mankind.
- • Before criticising or not believing in this science Allopathic doctors must understand the concept of Ayurveda.
- But now scenario is changing, Many latest researches prove that Ayurvedic medicines are best immuno modulator restores the total health by correcting the imbalance of organic and inorganic series and work comprehensively to maintain normotensive stage to cure diseases and its symptoms, so take more time for clinical results.
- But I am sure in coming five years, treatment of diabetes will completely change and use of herbal medicines will be increased every day and took respected edge.
No, in our pilot study no antagonist effect (reduced the efficacy of modern drugs) seen, while synergistic (enhance the efficacy of modern drugs) is effect seen in maximum type-2 patients) with combination therapy.
In type-1 Diabetic patient should not try to stop, it can be life threatening to the patient , Scientists are working on it and we are hopeful in future for good news.
In type-2 Obese Diabetic patients who are switched over to insulin after OHGA failure or Insulin resistance can be reversed to anti-diabetic oral medications under the umbrella of personalised Ayurvedic treatment successfully.
Simultaneously in average weight type-2 diabetic patients who are insulin resistance, can also be reversed on oral anti diabetic medicines with the use of Ayurvedic preparations.
No, because oral administration of steroids increases blood sugar level .
- • SDC is working only and actively on diabetes prevention, treatment and its complication since 1989.
- • Treatment for all those type-2 patients, who failed to control their blood sugar level by all sincere efforts.
- • Treatment for those diabetic patients who are suffering from Physical, Mental and Sexual weakness, but with well controlled blood sugar level.
- • Personalised suggestions for specific diet, life style modification and herbal combinations “To Prevent or push back” diabetes, for those have strong family of diabetes.
- • Suggestions to improve quality of life in those Diabetic patients, who are suffering from multiple diabetes complications.
- • Customised hero-mineral formulations for type-1 diabetic patients to boost immunity and prevent further complications.
- • Supportive additional health care Ayurvedic management for GDM (Gestational Diabetes Mellitus / Diabetes during Pregnancy) for normal foetal growth as well as for prevention of post delivery complications.
- • Treatment for those patients only who have faith in Indian system of Ayurveda.
- Every branch of medical world are facing a major problem of resistance and limitations of drugs every day and are in increasing day by day; Sedentary life style, food habits, Environmental pollution, Chemical exposures and different electro-magnetic frequencies rays(TV, Mobiles networking,) are playing an important role in making its more complex are compelling to think again.
- Traditional system or alternative systems of every country are the right answer for the problem in current scenario because they were tested and trusted. A new approach has been design to fight with drug resistant problem in India as a pilot project an integrated five and half years degree course under the title of BAMMS (Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicines with Modern Medicines and Surgery) in India and could be other counties.
- The objective of the course was to prescribe herbal (single to poly herbal or herbs with metal or minerals) where modern medicines to enhance the therapeutic results, for example if a COLITIS patient is getting drug induced or poor clinical effect with “Sulfasalazine” in different divided doses; if we add Kutaj Ghan Wati (An Ayurevedic preparation ) and stop the dairy products patient would get best sustained results (many other drug could be subjected to research), many other examples are also showing excellent result. This approach must be continued and explore much more, but unfortunately this approach was withdrawn by the govt. in 1980. But all alternative medicines of every countries should be again explore independently or with modern medication, and it is again need of to-days medical world / fertinity to fight against the drug resistant problem.
- Ayurvedic System of medicine is originated in India more than 3500 years ago. It torch to preventive, primitive and balance of the body-mind-sprit. Hundreds of different single, poly-herbal with metals, minerals with or without animal products are well described with full indication of all systemic diseases.
- These medicines are used for
- 1. Improve body immunity and Protect against diseases.
- 2. Relive pain and aches
- 3. Improve general health
- Other rich aspect of the above system are also a route source for isolation of active therapeutic principle against the disease from the herbs, than step wise systemic results and follow up clinical researches explore the right direction for its focus therapeutic indication against systemic diseases, after continuous dedicated work researchers successfully enter in the subject and chemically mapping developed the same active principle with modified genetic properties with same therapeutic properties are said to be Modern System of Medicine; but list of side effects and failure to preserve individual health raised the brows of scientists and said its own limitations or demerit.
- When the combination of both system of medication used in various chronic diseases found to be more effective; synergistic effect of properly screened combination ( Modern and alternative medicines for same disease of any pathies) are said to be Complementary and Alternative medicine System, or CAMs; so it is a category of medicine that includes a variety of healing and treatment (herbal, Chinese, acupuncture, rekki etc.) approaches with or without modern medicines refers to healing practices.
- But still there is no globally agreed definition of CAMs, but distinction is about two different ways of using these treatments.
- It is important to understand the difference between complementary medicine and alternative medicine; two different types of approaches are often using together but in fact are distinct.
- For example, a type-2 diabetes obese patient with OHGA failure than switch over on Insulin injection 2-3 times a day maintaining acceptable blood sugar control, but weakness and fluctuations in blood sugar level observed in most of the cases, some time severe low blood sugar also observed in aged patients or prolonged use of Insulin is persisting with his all efforts by the many times changed prescription, undergo Ayurvedic medicines to help good blood sugar control simultaneously improved the physical-mental and sexual weakness.
- Alternative medicines are different and not used as a complement to, but rather as a substitute for traditional therapy.
- For example, if a patient of Diabetic Nephropathy recommended for Dialysis and instead chooses to treat the problem with Ayurvedic or by any other system of medicines.
- After a deep studies on the concept of subject, we start working on types of Diabetes for its prevention and treatment ( with herbo-mineral preparations with OHGA & Insulin) to push back diabetic complications result were found to be excellent, continuous and successful since 1989.